What to do the day of your first extension appointment.
Just to cover the basics for my newbies here is what you should be doing before you come into your first extension appointment.
- Scratch your scalp, rub it, run a comb across it, enjoy the feeling because after today you will have a different experience when you stick your hands in there. Because of the extension attachment process you will want to protect the integrity of the bonds which means that you will not be combing your hair from scalp to ends, more like from mid-shaft to ends.
- Wash your hair really well. If you have a clarifying shampoo then use that, it will help to remove all of the debris left from styling products and environmental pollutants. Either air dry or blow dry, the preference is all yours.
- Take stock of your current shampoo, conditioner and styling products. You may have to change a few of them. For example you will need a very moisturizing shampoo and conditioner since your hair extensions will not be drawing oil from your scalp they will rely on products to provide moisture. Of course I will have recommendations for you in all categories.
- Wear something that will make you feel like the new awesome self that you are going to walk out of the salon as. You will feel different even if we are only adding a few extensions to your sides.
- Decide on your maintenance budget. Ideally you will want to come back to the salon for a removal and re-installation every 6-10 weeks. You need to decide on what is affordable and manageable for your chosen type of extensions and pocketbook. You will need to pre-book your next appointment upon leaving so it's best to have a time frame in mind.
- Make a list of questions or concerns that may not have been covered in the consultation. Although texture, color, length, cost and maintenance must have been previously discussed there might be some styling or routine care questions you have. Write them down so you won't forget.