When a client sits in my chair, new or accustomed to me there are a few key phrases that I am looking for.
- "I brought a picture". Hallelujah! I know clients probably think that this is annoying but we speak different languages when it comes to color and cut. What one client describes to me a volume is really a complete straightening treatment. If she didn't have the picture I would have assumed the opposite. Same with Blondes and Brunettes, there are so many shades and a picture is worth a thousand words.
- "I love my previous stylist". I've learned over the years that you do not want a customer who has just been scorned by a previous cut/color experience. Either they are just unhappy people to begin with or they are not very good at articulating their true desires (maybe they should bring a picture). There are obviously some exceptions to this rule, but haters are going to hate.
- "I love to experiment with my cut/color". This is so great because it leaves a little wiggle room for play. This phrase does not mean that you want to put purple in your hair or cut it all off. It simply means that you know you will look smashing no matter what subtle changes are made to your style. Not experimenting with your hair is like wearing the same outfit everyday, reliable but boring.
- "What do you recommend"? To me this phrase conveys great trust in the confidence and professionalism of the stylist. I am constantly updating my education credentials and try to stay on top of current wearable trends so I can take you in the right direction.
- "I recommended my friend to you". This is the kindest statement of all. To know that you have been recommending my services is the best compliment of all. To me it means that not only do you enjoy your style and obviously are receiving compliments on it. It also means that you enjoy the experience of my salon and want others to have that too.
So put your trust in your stylist, experiment a little, just a tiny bit, if not with color or with cut than perhaps style would be a better jumping off point for you. There are infinite combinations to try. As Vidal Sassoon said "If you don't look good, we don't look good".